Joining GirlsUp has empowered me by opening doors to an entirely new career and lifestyle: entrepreneurship. It was a year ago when I started thinking about entrepreneurship in the future because I longed to run a business that I believe in and have control over. However, I put my thoughts about entrepreneurship at the back of my head as I knew that it will be a long time before I am financially and intellectually ready for the venture.

Meeting GirlsUp changed that mindset.

Some of the entrepreneurial ideas I had before joining GirlsUp included developing mobile Apps. I had neither the skills nor the financial resources to start the project. If I hadn't met GirlsUp, I would have kept the app idea at the back of my head as I normally would. However, learning about GirlsUp and hearing the stories from young entrepreneurs I met through GirlsUp gave me the “Just Do It” mindset.

Pocket, the founder of GirlsUp, is an excellent example of this mindset. It was about three months ago when she first had the idea to start a group aimed at empowering young female entrepreneurs. A month later, she established the organization and hosted its first event. The pioneering event attracted an astonishing number of guests to RSVP, of almost two hundred! The event was complete with thoughtfulness put into every little detail, from the intricate decorations, mouthwatering cupcakes, to the strong support from the guest speakers. In a very short amount of time, she has not only transformed an idea into reality, but also built a powerful brand for GirlsUp.

Working alongside with such a dashing girl is inspiring to me though she wasn’t the only one that changed me. The entire team of GirlsUp embodied this “Just Do It” spirit. Every staff of GirlsUp has shown such passion, dedication and faith to the shared mission of our group. In merely a few meetings, we have planned and executed the second and third events without time wasted in between. We just got to it and got it done right away. And it was this kind of execution power that led me to look at entrepreneurship differently.

GirlsUp taught me that ideas are worthy, but those actions that make the ideas real are truly of value. This was also the conclusion I have reached after hearing multiple speakers talk about their own entrepreneur stories. With entrepreneurship, you will never know when you are fully ready because entrepreneurship cannot be learned, it is experienced through trial and error. The longer you wait, the more likely your ideas will be taken, and the more time you are losing to building potential success.

I have heard many girls who have ideas, but are afraid that their ideas may be turned down for being naive and ignorant. But here, at GirlsUp, the mentors whom I have personally met at our events don’t judge. They listen. I felt that quality of patience and willingness to offer help in every mentor I’ve talked to. Having the right mentor or established entrepreneurs listen to your ideas and mentor you through your plans of action is so important in the early stage of entrepreneurship.

I have gone to other career development club’s mentorship events and experienced that those mentorship relationships were too fragile and business-oriented. On the contrary, GirlsUp’s mentors felt different. It didn’t take long to get to know them because there was no business wall of barrier to start with. These are all made possible since those mentors strongly believe and support the mission GirlsUp is pursuing to achieve.

At the Magic Mixer event, I pitched my mobile app ideas to the mentors and was connected to other professionals and resources that will help me further my ideas. In addition, I was also invited to another networking event the very next day that helped me land an internship. With new members joining us at every event, GirlsUp is like a home to ambitious and talented young girls.

Being surrounded by like minded individuals gave me the courage and support to start exploring different ways to make my ideas real. In fact, the inspiration I have received from GirlsUp prompted me to start a club of my own, which will launch in 2015 at USC. “ I will do everything I can to support and make this happen!” was what I got from Pocket when I told her about my ideas!

With a beautiful mission, a strong “just-do-it” spirit, and a team of ambitious and creative individuals, GirlsUp has gifted me with a confident heart and showed me I was ready to be showered by entrepreneurship.

0 comments :

Post a Comment